Monday, March 06, 2006

Penguin Pat

So today was a VERY busy day. I skipped out on my Sunday NAPLEX review session (I'm just not mentally all there yet to be worried about that, although I should be. I swear, after having Bella I feel like I'm getting dumber and dumber. But also, I really miss spending time with Bella and Mark. Last week was my first week apart from her since she was born. I'm on my last rotation and will be walking in my graduation ceremony this Friday... can you believe that? Anyways, Max's penguin project is due this Tuesday, so of course procrastinator-me had to run ALL over the city of Chicago taking pictures of this penguin. So after Mark's basketball game, we head over to Michigan Avenue. Mark and I hate shopping downtown. We are just not city people... the crowds, the traffic, walking in and out of buildings... just not for us. So we park at Water Tower, go up the elevator to the ground floor, and Isabella starts to cry. Let's just say that we were very fortunate that she started to cry because Mark and I stopped to see what was the matter with her when this guy with a Marshall Fields bag filled with stuff runs right in front of us, smacking into a security guard, dropping his bags, slamming into the glass door, managing to exit the building as a female (which we later find out is an undercover cop) chases after him yelling "STOP THIEF!". That was scary, but the weird thing is that all the other people around us didn't even flinch (as if this happened all the time). Anyways, if we were even just a few feet ahead, he could've smacked into Bella's stroller. That wouldn't be good.
Anyways, so off we go to the first photo location with the penguin (the historical Water Tower building that survived the Great Chicago Fire... which apparently was new information to Mark. I wonder what he thought that building was all this time?), when we notice snow softly falling from the sky. We never go to the city, but when we do... it has to snow. So we chug along, gotta take these pictures (I really don't want to disappoint Max).
So we make it to American Girl Place. It's not a far walk from Water Tower, but in that small amount of time it went from softly falling snow to blizzard. So we took a picture outside the building and went in. When we went in, Mark and I had our bugaboo bassinet stroller, our backpack diaper bag, and Isabella. When we left the building, we had the stroller, our backpack diaper bag, Isabella, and not one but 2 HUGE American Girl shopping bags plus it was STILL BLIZZARDY outside. What were we thinking? But not to worry, we did leave something behind... we were like a ba-zillion dollars lighter in the pocket. But it was worth it, we finally got Max's long-awaited pajamas and Bella got her first Bitty Baby and we got other stuff that's a secret, cuz they're for some readers out there... hmmm... I wonder who...

So after stopping by Neiman Marcus, the Tourist Center (so Penguin Pat could get some souvenirs), and lunch at Water Tower, we stopped by Chinatown, then decided to go home.
So, now we're home. I was hoping to give Bella a bath cuz she really needs one, but since we were out all day, I'll do it tomorrow. I'll try and post more pictures of our day with the Penguin.